1. Because Sebastian the crab said "You could go home with all the normal fish and just be... just be... just be miserable for the rest of your life." And because Ariel looked sad. By the way, I watched The Little Mermaid for my Zusterschap series "Feminist Film School"!
2. Because I remembered the Center Parcs advert with the morose mummy bear.
3. Because my rabbit died. This is admittedly a rational reason to cry, but I cried so hard I made myself ill, which is less rational.
4. Because I re-read the synopsis of the Oscar Wilde story "The Nightingale and the Rose". Do not read it if you're feeling fragile, okay?
5. Because I started writing a song and I could hear it in my head and it sounded good.
6. Because I heard that J.K. Rowling is releasing The Cursed Child's script as a book.
7. Because I met a really great dog.
8. Because I saw my friend Claire and we shared a long-overdue, very long hug.
9. Because the new Army recruitment advert made me so angry.
10. Because C3-P0 showed up in The Force Awakens. I should point out, I cried five times during The Force Awakens.
11. Because I was still awake at 5am on a Sunday night.
12. Because it was light outside when I left work.
13. Because someone left a comment on my Zusterschap piece about tropes in film which complimented my writing.
14. Because the clouds were really pretty.
15. Because my dad sent an uncharacteristically sweet and gentle message to me after my rabbit Dexter died.
16. Because I told my mum how much I wanted to die last year, but how grateful I am to be alive now.
17. Because the boys in my band said very, very nice things to me and made me feel like I matter. This has happened more than once.
18. Because I sneezed.
19. Because I wrote a little post about how much I love my friends, and how much I value them.
20. Because sometimes my brain tells me everything is hopeless, and I am too tired to argue.
That's not even all of the reasons I've cried so far this year, but it's a pretty decent selection. If you, or someone you know is crying more often, or you're in any way worried about your mental health, please talk to someone. Don't suffer in silence. You deserve better.
If you liked this post, check out my health blog, GREEN ABOUT THE GILLS, for mental health and more!